Re: 5.2 Linking element corrals?

At 12:33 4/3/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>The premise is that since extended links are independent of their
>resources, they can be difficult to find.  One solution is to
>corral them into one spot, either within a document or in a special
>external document.
>
>5.2.a Should we provide an element to serve as a corral for extended
>linking elements?

Yes - as long as it is repeatable and can be used anywhere. (I want to build
webs by saying add this web to that web)

>5.2.b If so, should we require its use?

It or an element conforming to the same architectural form with an
architectural attribute name that matches that of the element, the attribute
being required for any user-named equivalent element.

>5.2.c If we allow but not require its use, should we require that if the
>corral is used, there be no extended linking elements outside it?

This would make it impossible to have in-line extended links!

>5.2.e Should we specify LINKSET documents, i.e. external entities
>existing only to contain extended link corrals.

Yes

>5.2.f If we specify LINKS and/or LINKSETS, should we discuss the temporal
>effectivity and user-visibility of the links therein, in terms of the
>period the document is "open"?

What is a document in this sense, and how can you "open" and, more
importantly, "close" it? Where the LINKSET is used at the start point you
can say it is effective while any document the set refers to is listed in
the History/Go list (presuming this is minimized a la Netscape). But you
cannot use the same rules if the LINKSET is "attached" to a document at some
stage after its is first called.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/