Re: Normative Reference to SGML?

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Isn't the following text from the current XML spec a "normative
> reference": "By definition, valid XML documents are conformant SGML
> documents in the sense described in ISO standard 8879."

Yes, that certainly looks like a normative reference to me.

But the handling of references in the xml spec[1] is non-traditional:
there's a touchy-feely "relationship to existing standards"
section and section called "references" which is really a
bibliography, but no a list of normative references.

So the current draft[1] seems unclear on whether the reference
to the SGML spec is normative.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-xml-lang-970331.html

--
Dan Connolly