Re: ERB decision: colon as name character

Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
> The inference you are drawing is unwarranted:  there is no guarantee
> that the name-space solution eventually adopted for XML will use
> colons in names.

I'm not inferring it. I'm inferring that others will infer it. :) My
concern is that all future namespace research will start from: "What's a
good way to use that colon?" It's like if my wife sets aside a room in
the house and says its the children's room -- if we ever have children.
The room will become a vacuum waiting to be filled!

I can see your problem of the in- and out-crowd . I suppose I would
prefer if the : were merely reserved for "experimentation" (into
whatever). I might use it to represent OOP inheritance hierarchies.

We could also bite the bullet and reserve "::" and let
'namechar:namechar' be used (for experimentation or whatever). That
would have the benefit of not breaking the experiments when the final
solution is rolled out.

 Paul Prescod