Re: Update on namespaces

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> 4) An SGML content model should allow a #OTHER keyword:  ANY is too
> fixed,
> and fully declared content models are too restrictive. E.g.
>
> <!ELEMENT html ( head, (body | frameset | layer | #OTHER ), tail ) >
>
> where #OTHER means you can only use an element from some other
> namespace.

I think we should avoid these flapping barn doors. Rather we should have
a structured mechanism for using components and extending them. A sort
of structured equivalent of this:

<!ELEMENT html ( head, (body | frameset | layer | %included-types; ),
tail ) >

Doesn't the Japanese proposal already cover this? You can require
"inputs" to DTDs that are parameter entities that are pasted into
particular places. This is very much like C++ templates.

 Paul Prescod