Re: a vote in favour of ditching PE's

At 6:23 AM -0500 6/20/97, Digitome Ltd. wrote:
>I am *really* happy that a PE-ectomy is being considered for XML.Their
>complexity of implementation and explanation are at odds with the bulk
>of the XML spec. and the famous "spirit" of XML.

Would parameter entities that worked like the C preprocessor be too
complex? I don't think so...

>Many people with SGML will stick with SGML as their data format for many
>good reasons. They will down-translate to target XML. In this down-translation
>they have many issues to deal with - not just PEs.  I say this is good, right
>and proper. If we complicate XML too much to accomodate existing SGML
>we risk alienating the pioneers currently hitching up their wagons and
>preparing to head west. I say, making [SGML->XML] more complex
>is infinitely better than making [XML->Future Apps] more complex.

I want to use XML instead of SGML for many tasks -- losing parameter
entities will make that close to impossible for me. Since the mess around
PEs is due to their funny syntactic restrictions, I suggest that their high
utility argues for removing the syntactic restrictions, not the feature.

PEs as curently defined are also one fo the last things making a simple
LEX/YACC style implementation of XML trivial -- since PE substitution could
move into a separate input pass if they did not have contextual limits on
occurrence.

_And it would be much easier to explain to *users*._

There is something rotten in PEs, and it's not their existence....