Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

>----------

You are right.

If PEs are dropped, people will write DTDs like this,
which is the friendly version of it :-)

#define EL(name, model) <!element name - - (model) >
#define PCONTENT #pcdata|emph
#define PCONTENT2 sup|sup

#include "inlines.dth"

EL(foo,(sp+, bp+))

EL(sp, (PCONTENT)*)
EL(sp, (PCONTENT | PCONTENT2)*)

The tool to "compile" this into an XML -DTD is simply CPP.

If PEs are there, only a very few people would need to use CPP
if any...

We loose support for other tools like DTD-viewers, DTD-editors etc.

PEs could be restricted to receive entire

   elementdecl [38]
   Name respl element groups
   contentspec [39] elements [40]
   AttDef [47], %AttType, %Default

This would make it much easier to implement in an a parser and
supporting even complex DTDs.

Regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Bernhard Weichel              Phone:  (49) 711 811 8322
Robert Bosch GmbH               Fax:  (49) 711 811 8262
Dept. K3/EES4                 eMail:  bernhard.weichel@pcm.bosch.de
P.O. Box 30 02 40
D-70442 Stuttgart
Germany