Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name gro

At 06:23 PM 19/06/97 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>It seems odd to me that we are going to add complexity to help people who
>need to publish databases but remove complexity required by people who need to
>publish large, complex documents adhering to large, complex DTDs. Aren'
>t large, complex documents with large, complex DTDs the reason we are
>*here*? I am concerned about this shift in focus from publishing large
>documents to solving the world's problems.

For authoring large complex documents, we already have an excellent
solution: SGML.  For delivering them on the Web, XML does just fine;
it will be trivial to generate documents in an SGML system just
dripping with inclusions and PEs and &-groups and whatnot, and
pump out the instances, which will be well formed.

The fact that this document delivery format is being embraced by
some unforeseen application groups is a pleasant surprise and not
one of the things we set out to achieve.  And Berners-Lee was just
trying to support collaborative Physics research.  And yes, it
seems to quite a lot of us that we should indeed go to some trouble
if as a result we get to capture the world's metadata in a relatively
sane format.  Metadata *definitely* looks like a nail to me. -T.