Re: Update on namespaces

In message <3.0.32.19970617165211.00a4f4d0@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Tim Bray writes:
[...]
> This is something along the lines of the the colon-prefixing that
> was proposed by both Microsoft and the Japanese WG8 submission, e.g.
> <book:price>11.99</book:price>.  This has two downsides: it requires
> a change in XML-lang (albeit not much, just allow ':' in namechar), and
> you can't get all the information you need from a normal SGML parser
> without some postprocessing.  It has a big upside in that all the
> information you need is right there in the document and lightweight
> processors get at it easily.  It's more in the XML style in that
> all the info is right there in the instance and you don't need
> any help to figure out what's going on.

I've read the subsequent discussion and tried to understand the implications
of implementing #2; my impression is that there is a non-trivial overhead.
I'd like to support #3, as it's the easiest to write software for both at
parse time and postprocessing (and those are important XML criteria).  As a
dirty webhacker I appreciate that this may be less elegant than AFs, but I
think it's robust and easily understood.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences