Re: Update on namespaces

Matthew Fuchs <matt@wdi.disney.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17,  4:52pm, Tim Bray wrote:
> > 2. Use Architectural Forms (maybe just calling them reserved attributes)
> > 3. Use an all-instance syntax
>
> Occam's razor would indicate going with #2, since we need add nothing.

Er, the idea is to provide the simplest solution that meets the needs,
not the solution that requires least work on the part of the people
writing the specification.

The use of Architectuaral Forms might require all XML processes to
read the DTD, in which case it might as well not be optional.

> The next step will be defining regular expressions for parsing the GI to
> determine which extensions are being used.  I don't say  that's good or bad,
> but I suggest it will now be inevitable.

I don't agree with this at all.  C++ has :: in much the same way as has
been suggested for XML, and does not have regular expressions for parsing
identifiers.

Lee