Re: Netscape metadata submission to W3C uses XML

At 9:35 AM -0500 6/12/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>  It needs
>namespaces, and the current draft uses the Layman syntax.
Oh? why couldn't it use architectural forms or other processing attributes.
I'm still waiting to see _any_ actual need for namespaces (as opposed to
desire for them), and I still don't see any notion of what validity means
when we can import elements into the middle of DTDs. We certainly don't
need namespaces to make working cross-DTD markup, or else XML-link wouldn't
work.

I'm glad to see XML in use by Netscape, but I'm still waiting to see a case
for inventing and standardizing a whole bunch of new practice without
practical experience, or even an underlying theory of what is going on (and
with less than a month to go!) . In addition, throwing out the notion of
document validity seems a high price to pay for this