NOTATIONS and DATA TYPES (was: Update on namespaces)

My understanding on notations is that the ExternalId used refers to some
processor capable of interpreting the data (e.g. a program that can read
and display GIF bitmaps if the external binary resource is in fact a GIF
bitmap).  Do I read this correctly?

If so, that is somewhat different from identifying the resource as a GIF
bitmap in a universal way. It would certainly be different from
identifying "1234.56" as being a number in the following example:

	<price>1234.56</price>

or this as being a date:

	<birthday>19590609</birthday>

If my understanding of NOTATION is correct (from section 4.6 in the
working draft at
http://www.textuality.com/sgml-erb/WD-xml-lang.html#sec4.6), then a
NOTATION in effect says "I don't know how to deal with this external
resource, but here is the identifier of some processor that does."  Data
types would be saying "This is a number (date, time, etc.) I make no
recommendations regarding processing."

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL@microsoft.com