Re: Re WF, V, and MSXML (fwd)

This is a *partial* crossposting of material from XML-DEV which seems
sufficiently important that I am bringing it to the attention of the WG.

> > Peter Murray-Rust replying to me to him etc.
> [... and hoping the WG/ERB are reading this ...]
[... Discussion deleted, but available on
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev> ]

Discussion centres on whether a 'parser' reading a 'document' with a (possibly
partial) DTD can/must/may validate it, and what happens if it cannot.  As an
example, does the string:

<!DOCTYPE FOO SYSTEM "foo.dtd">

imply or require any action.

Does the string
<!DOCTYPE FOO [
<!ATTLIST FOO CDATA BAR "BAZ">
]>

imply or require any action.  Is it markup? May/must it be passed to the
application?

[...PeterMR proposed ...]
> <PROPOSAL>
> All parsers (i.e. tools that take XML documents and apply the criteria in
> XML-LANG only) should state their attitude and behaviour to WFness and validity.
> </PROPOSAL>
>
> The possible options include at least:
> 	- nsgmls-like.  Full validation is the only option.  Any non-valid
> 		dcoument is flagged and appropriate error messages or error
> 		action is initiated.
> 	- Lark-like (at least V0.88 - I think there is another coming).  No
> 		validation can be attempted.  Any 'output' can only be WF or
> 		in error.  NOTE: what does Lark do with the internal subset?
> 	- NXP-like.  Validation can be switched on or off by the 'client'.
> 		How this is transmitted to the application is application
> 		dependent at present.
> 	- MSXML-like.  Undocumented at present.  Possibly [though Terry and I
> 		hope not] validating by default, and changing to WF if this
> 		fails.

There have been several replies and I believe that the discussion is one on
which the ERB/WG may wish to take a view.  If that view is "Silence!", I shall
obey :-)

	P.
--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences