Re: GROW UP!

Jon Bosak wrote:

> If you're looking for sympathy, you came to the wrong place.  I get
> that many messages, too.  A lot of us do.  We manage to maintain a
> certain level of consideration for other people anyway.

How many copies of Marion Elledge's GCA announcement did
you receive?  So far, delete has been sufficient.  I'd
say most of us get around 200 messages a day.  So much for
seeing The Lost World.

> The key question is whether you occasionally forget or whether you
> have a deliberate policy of creating duplicate copies of your
> messages.  The former is understandable; the latter is a conscious
> decision to trade off a few seconds of care on your part for a
> considerable amount of overhead on the part of those of us who have to
> maintain mail archives.

Or, as Murray says, to give the sender the advance of a few hours
to reply.  Still,  if one is still on the CC list or the
main mail to after three months and no replies, that is probably a
little lazy.  I usually remove everyone but the list and the
sender.

> You have to be enough of a pain in the butt to justify our taking the
> time to go through this.  What Tim's posting made me realize is that
> some people are being inconsiderate enough that I might actually
> entertain such a proposal if he were to make it.

And some folks could decide to pound you half to death in a
parking lot one afternoon, and so it goes.  ERBness stops at
the voting booth.

I am a PIA, but not a violent one.  Threats are bad for our mental
health and in a world where people torture children to death,
blow up buildings in the name of The American Way, set fire
to grandma's apartment, torture a man with a steak knife
for his ATM number and $800, and on and on through the
daily litany of human pain, deleting emails doesn't seem
to be worth this.

On the other hand, I for one will be more conscientious.
We have things to do.  This isn't one of them.

len