Re: "Open Interchange"

At 16:09 3/6/97 EDT, lee@sq.com wrote:

>I certainly wouldn't want to make every DSSSL style sheet build in code
>for specifying collation rules.

Ordering is a separate part of the DSSSL spec, designed to be used
separately if needs be. It is also tied to glyph mapping - you can't sort on
glyphs!

>Sorting is different from presentation: St. Edmund sorts after Safeways and
>before Sanctuary ....  There is no need to
>standardise that, and we don't have the implementation experience for
>XML to make that appropriate anyway.

You can't standarize it as it is application dependent. What you need is a
way of moving the rules required from application processor to application
processor. Thats what the DSSSL spec seeks to do. I was not aware that the
TEI spec covered sorting.

>A "little language" like that for character entities is something that I
>proposed at SGML OPEN last year, but the mailing list has been dead, not
>least as I wasn't able to get to any SGML OPEN meetings since then.

The question is "what consitutes little?" I think you will find the DSSSL
lexicographic ordering specification technique is as minimalist as you can
reasonably get.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/