Re: Entity and Element Addressing

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:39:51 +0000
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org

>>My conception of Well-Formedness has always been along the lines of
>>"you can build the right parse tree".  Now, we have partially ducked
>>that by saying that you don't have to fetch & parse external text entities;
>>but you do have to know what the reference is pointing at.
>
>Fine. My point is that even if entities are "missing", the result of a
>parse should be "well-formed" (ie. the tree is correct except for the
>missing nodes).

What's the difference between not seeing the entities and switching off the
images on Netscape? I normally run my HTML browser without illustrations for
performance reasons. I could equally well envisage having the option as to
whether or not to resolve linked entities on my XML browser.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/