Re: Permitting non-indirect links

At 9:54 PM 1/9/97, Peter Flynn wrote:
>David Durand wrote:
>
>      2. DTDs will frequently be unavailable
>
>Having come into class halfway through, so to speak, I'm still not
>clear why this is going to be so. Or does it simply mean that
>hand-tagging authors and those using non-SGML/XML tools will just be
>creating tag soup from half-rememberd bits of HTML?

   two reasons:

    1. Many processors (like browsers) don't need a DTD to do most of their
work. Forcing such processors to fetch a DTD via HTTP is not going to fly.

    2. Sometimes authors have legitimate reasons for not wanting a DTD. For
instance, in drafting short documents, or during document development, or
as an initial stage of DTD development (by creating example instances to
work from).

   In general, I'm personally coming to the belief that a DTD is a good
quality control, and consistency tool, _when that kind of consistency
matters_. But sometimes it either doesn't matter, or it's not worth
deciding too early.