Re: Radical cure for BOS confusion

At 4:26 PM 1/9/97, papresco wrote:
>At 01:05 PM 1/9/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>>   If you want to _analyse_ link relationships, then I think a requirement
>>to fetch the DTD is reasonable.
>
>Does this mean that the documents to be analyzed must adhere to a DTD? Note
>that there is a large commercial market (and robust freeware "market") for
>spiders, link checkers, web site downloaders, etc. DTD-less XML documents
>should not be less workable in this regard than HTML documents.

Ss far as I can tell, all architectural form proposals will require adding
attributes to elements. If we don't want to put them on every single
element we will have to put them in the DTD. If we let the first occurrence
set a default, we have introduced a serial dependency of the sort we
intentionally avoided in the definition of the XML language.