Re: 6. Addressing & process model issues

At 09:54 17/2/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:

>In the ERB's terminology discussions, there was considerable time spent
>on the issue of whether this locator fragmentation and process model are
>artifacts of one particular addressing scheme, or are a general enough
>pattern that XML Link should formalize (and include terminlogy for)
>one or both of
>
> a) locator fragmentation into containing object locator and
>    contained locator specifier
> b) a traversal process model with explicit server/client division of
>    labor
>
>What do you think?

I, for one, would like to separate out the information about the object
container locator and the contained located object. I think that doing this
will help to make the calling of referenced documents from cache or
alternative sources much easier.
The example of  xml-tlink="url (http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/p3) id (foo)
child (3 p)" appeals to me particularly because of its clear split between
the URL, ID and path navigation from ID components.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/