Re: 2.1 a-d: Link Recognition by Reserved Attribute?

From: Sam Hunting <sgmlsh@CAM.ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:45:50 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
<david>
I do want to make XML, and XML linking stand on
their own, without normative references to ISO standards.
</david>

<len>
I'm not sure if that goal has any utility.  Whereas,
gratuitous references are not useful, normative references
establish a chain of authoritative information.  That
does have utility.
</len>

David: If that is your goal, then what am I to make of Design Goal (3)
"XML shall be compatibble with SGML"? What's more normative than "shall"?
More ISO than SGML?

Len: I agree. The kind of work I do is long-lived. For the sake of the
integrity of my client's content, I want a stable reference point.
Normative references, warts and all, provide that.