Re: 3.1.a All linkage info in markup not data?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 18:21:09 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
sjd wrote:
>  At 11:53 PM 02/20/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >3.1.a Should we have a principle that all linkage information is encoded in
>  >GIs and/or attribute values, never in character data?
>
>  No. Unenforceable, and sometimes it's useful anyway, such as for supporting
>  links from every word to dictionaries/glossaries/etc, for links from 'the
>  current selection', etc.

I THINK if we clarified the question to be "should we provide a
mechanism in the minimum supported locator schemes for using link
element content as part of a locator" you might agree the answer was
'NO', but that leaves the door open in an unstated way for
non-minimum-supported schemes to do so.

ht