Re: 3.2.b Locators in attributes or elements?

From: Steven J. DeRose <sjd@ebt.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:59:28 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 03:05 PM 02/21/97 GMT, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>>  3.2.b Should the locators of a general link be packaged in attributes
>>  as in HyTime, or as child elements as in the initial draft?
>
>I liked the child elements approach, especially as that means many
>(most) of the attributes in each locator sub-element will be the same
>as ones in in-line link elements (or whatever they are to be called).

There is one syntactic advantage i see to the element approach: It provides
a way to attach additional information to each linkend. If, for example, the
user wants to add an explainer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H label to each linkend,
it's a lot cleaner to do it with subelements:

<LINK-MONO TYPE=COMPARISON>
   <LINKEND ROLE=AUTHOR
            HREF="http://www.ebt.com//u/sjd/bio.htm">
   <LINKEND ROLE=TEXT1
            HREF="http://lit.org//milton/paradise_lost.htm#27966"
            LABEL="In this passage Milton clearly alludes to D. Steele.">
   <LINKEND ROLE=TEXT2
            HREF="http://lit.org//dsteele/yet_another.htm"
            LABEL="See, they both talk about people.">
</LINK-MONO>

Try combining them LABELs into one element! Obviously doable by introducing
internal syntax (prohibit semicolon or something and pack 'em up). But ugly.

Steve