Re: What to do given both SYSTEM and PUBLIC?

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 21 Feb 1997 09:03:54 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Joe writes:
> What I meant was: it's not possible to write a program that will,
> given an arbitrary FPI, return the public text denoted by that FPI.

OK, I was using "resolve" in a quite different sense: "work out what
file to find this DTD/ent, but stopping short of actually retrieving it"

One thing that niggles is that all the mechanism for doing it is very
nearly in place. If the ISO 9070 Registrar held a publicly-accessible
list of POIs and their servers, this would encourage registration,
and "+//Foo, Inc//..." could easily be resolved as (eg)
{ftp|http|whatever}://foo.com/...  Are there any plans for this
(anyone from the GCA here)? Unregistered owners would of course
need to provide a SYSTEM id :-)

///Peter