Re: SERIOUS concerns about implementation

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 20 Feb 1997 15:02:54 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Peter Murray-Rust writes:

> If you install Panorama there is a directory called catalog, with about
> 35 files which are a mixture of popular *.dtd and *.ent.
> EVERY SINGLE FILE WILL BREAK XML UNLESS THE SYNTAX IS CHANGED.

It's hard enough to get Panorama to work with normal SGML :-)
But this is very useful information, Peter, thanks for identifying it.

> Why was <!--* .* *--> introduced?

I have a sneaking suspicion it was introduced because C programmers
can't get a handle on comments /* unless they have an asterisk */,
and as they are the target audience for implementations, this was
done to persuade them that XML is not as hard as SGML :-)

> <COROLLARY>
> The result of this is that EVERY file I have been working with up to now
> (document instances, DTDs, catalogs, EntitySets) are broken w.r.t XML.  I
> have to modify them, often by hand.
> </COROLLARY>

I think the intention was (?is?) that XML can be parsed by SGML parsers,
but there was no intention that it should go the other way round.

///Peter