Re: XML catalog draft

At 11:00 PM 2/11/97, lee@sq.com wrote:
>> IC, thus causing it to "fail". I can't think of
>> a case where someone who _has_ working public resolution, would prefer to
>> use the system ID -- andif they did, it seems they could always ensure that
>> any given public ID (or all) would fail to resolve.
>
>Panorama uses SYSTEM in preference to PUBLIC, and I think this is the
>right behaviour.  If you don't want the SYSTEM identifier used,
>don't give it.  What's it for if not to override the PUBLIC resolution?

System is fallback for PUBLIC that fails. But as my conversation with
Murray showed, it's probably better to tell authors that the two had
_better_ be equivalent as applications get the choice of resolution
mechanisms. I think my example was quite realistic, and shows that some
SYSTEM IDs should be handled before some PUBLIC IDs, and vice versa....

>> <?XML-BASE SYSTEM "http://www.foo.org/bar/">
>> <?XML-BASE PUBLIC "+//ISBN 9882-3::FOO//SGML bar stuff//EN"
>>                   "http://www.foo.org/bar/">
>>

>This is an interesting idea.  Better to combine them:
><?XML-BASE_external_id_?>
??? I don't understand. I was intending to give one construct with two
variant forms (exactly parallel to Entity declaration forms).

>By the way, you forgot the ? at the end of the PI.  So do I.  So does everyone
>else.  This syntax won't fly,.

well, if _we_ are confused, it is likely from interference with our
knowledge of SGML syntax, in which case it won't be that widespread a
problem.