Re: 2.1 a-d: Link Recognition by Reserved Attribute?

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:24:06 -0600
To: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Jon Bosak wrote:

> [Murray Altheim:]
>
> | The two methods described perorm the same function, but are used for
> | different purposes. The first example allows a designer to create an
> | new SGML application. The second allows legacy applications like
> | DocBook or HTML to be retrofitted with architectural form attributes
> | to be used within an XML processing system.
>
> Now I'm hearing arguments in favor of using the attribute method.  I'm
> not hearing anything about why we need both methods.  Either the
> attribute method works or it doesn't; if it does, why do we need both?

you don't need both.  attributes work fine.  you will get both
because common practice is to use the GI.  It if inflexible
unless one starts . appending in the GI.

has anyone considered what happens when several arch forms
must be applied to the same element type?  For example,
a community wants to use the XML type for a link, but
specialize it further with arch forms only a set
particular to a community shares?

len