Re: If no new syntax, and no API, then what are we doing here . . .

From: Terry Allen <tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 07:54:46 -0800 (PST)
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Henry wrote:
>If this is right, it means that conforming XML processors do NOT have
to be capable of implementing most of the locator languages we bless,
although the ability to do so will clearly make them more attractive
to application developers.

To me this implies that the server must negotiate with the client
to discover what processor the client uses (or vice versa, the
client must negotiate with the server to discover whether it
can handle the link syntax it's to be served).  Is that right?

Regards,
    Terry Allen    Fujitsu Software Corp.    tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor:  http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html