Re: 1.4 a-c: Basic Terminology

At 03:34 PM 02/03/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:

>Sign me up for link, pointer, and terminus.  Motivation: a link is
>what people expect, fewer suprises are better.  Pointer: I could
>be swayed on this one, but it's nicely mnemonic, a single word, and
>not already used by any of the existing hypertext tribes.  Terminus:
>I like this one a lot, same reasons as pointer, plus both the denotation
>and connotations are good. -Tim

Like he said. Except I like target about as well as terminus, despite the
possibly greater directional connotation.

At 09:41 AM 02/07/97 -0500, Liora Alschuler wrote:
>1.4.c terminus --> link end

I don't think this is safe, since it invites confusion with HyTime
"linkend", which is a different thing entirely. I suppose there's always
"pointees". :)

At 05:16 PM 02/04/97 -0500, John Lavagnino wrote:
>I'd suggest "selection" as a possible alternative, because it focuses

This has some tradition behind it in hypermedia, in that InterMedia refers
to its pointees that way (sometimes also as anchors). It does bring the
useful intuition that most selections are contiguous, though cooler
applications allow discontiguous selections; and the way people typically
create links is by selecting something and then making a pointee out of it.

Steve