Re: 1.5: Discuss link characteristics?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 15:43:22 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Certainly it's termini and not links that in the first instance appear
somewhere, and therefor may need to be displayed, if you have that
kind of application (e.g. a browser).

But neither traversal or action is at the right level of generality.
[See next message about traversal]
Both you and Martin are too focussed, in my view, on browsers and
mouse clicks.  As a possibly useful example, consider the case of
external, non-participating 2-ended links to annotate the translation
relationship between the sentences of french and english versions of a
bilingual document.  A terminology extraction tool will exploit the
semantics of such a link (i.e. behave in a certain way) completely
differently to a translation tutorial program.

I realise this is dragging us back towards the whole link
{semantics/type/behaviour} debate, which I have done my best to
follow, but it leaves me feeling that although we need to clearly
distinguish between

1) intrinsic XML semantics for links, i.e. termini, participation, etc.;
2) XML Application (in the strict SGML sense of 'application')
   semantics, e.g. the bilingual alignment example above;
3) Implemented application behaviour

we are only in the business of specifying (1).

ht