Re: 1.a: Use Elements? -- critical ambiguity in question!

From: <lee@sq.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 97 16:40:18 EST
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Michael wrote:
> I realize that you probably omitted the gloss on the grounds that the
> meaning was intuitively obvious.

Actually I omitted it on the grounds that I wasn't trying to make a
formal proposal.

By
    <?-XML- URI element A attribute HREF?>
I meant no more than to suggest the use of a processing instruction to
say that the HREF of the A element contains a URI (URL or URN) and
should thus have some sort of linking behaviour.
I added the example
    <?-XML- SYSTEM element IMAGE attribute SRC action embed?>
as a reminder that URI-valued attributes can be used in multiple ways --
HTML's IMG uses it to embed an image.  Whether to embed is probably better
specified through a style sheet, but that's a separate discussion.
I would suggest a separate ProcInst for each element or attribute affected,
for the sake of the Barefooted Perl Hacker if nothing else!

Lee