Re: C.4 Undeclared entities?

From: Charles F. Goldfarb <Charles@SGMLsource.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:20:41 GMT
To: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
Cc: cbullard@HiWAAY.net, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:25:27 -0500, "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com> wrote:

>I've been just watching the tennis match on this issue, and my allegiance
>switches with every mail message. :-)  Nonetheless, one small comment...

I don't know which end of the court your leaning toward at the moment, but
here's another argument (in case conformance to 8879 isn't important enough :-).

Consistent rules are better than inconsistent ones. We can simply say:

A DOCTYPE declaration is always required. If there is a DTD, indicate that by
locating the external subset and/or putting the declarations in the internal
subset. If there is no DTD, indicate that by the word "SYSTEM" alone.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA