Re: C.4 Undeclared entities?

From: Charles F. Goldfarb <Charles@SGMLsource.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:43:45 GMT
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Cc: lee@sq.com, lee@sq.com, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:55:18 -0500, gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol) wrote:

>>Transclusions should be done with attribute values only. Entity
>>references are for constant data that is always parsed.
>
>Entity references can be (even often are) a form of transclusion.
>I cannot see why the XML syntax specification should have anything to
>say on the uses the market finds for the mechnisms defined.

I think there is some confusion between the concept of referencing an entity,
and the SGML syntactic construct called an "entity reference". SGML has two ways
to reference entities: by entity references (&entname; or %entname;) and by
attribute values. Each method is used for a different type of entity.

Syntactic entity references refer only to integral and invariant parts of the
*source* document (which means they are parsed). Attributes refer to data
entities that an application can choose to include in the *output* document, but
never the source document.

Transclusions accessed via a general entity reference (meaning &entname;)
violate 8879.

Transclusions accessed through an attribute value do not violate 8879.

--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA