Re: C.4 Undeclared entities?

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:13:52 -0500
To: Charles@sgmlsource.com
CC: U35395@UICVM.UIC.EDU, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>The lazy parsing would produce identical results. The non-lazy
>parsing, however, could produce differing results. For that reason,
>syntactic entity references should not be used for this
>purpose. Instead, the external SGML entities should be treated as
>independent documents and referenced via an ENTITY attribute.

While I can agree with this, I do not see how or why we should specify
implementation behaviour as part of the syntax specification.

People said that external text entities would cause problems in
a distirbuted system. I showed one architecture in which a number
of the difficulties are overcome.

The decision of which should be used is a seperate issue.