Re: Optional features considered harmful

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:32:46 +0000, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

>At 15:23 24/10/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>
>>>It would be easier to make this work if we disallowed references to
>>>external text entities in attribute values, but hopefully people can
>>>live without those.
>>
>>Er, I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but doesn't clause 7.9.4.2
>>(p. 335 of Handbook) restrict ENTITY/ENTITIES attributes to
>>data and SUBDOC entities?  I.e. isn't your conditional already met?
>
>I'm talking about *references*; for example,
>
>  <!entity e system "e.sgm">
>
>  <foo a1="&e;">

Maybe that's the problem.

In order for an external SGML entity to be ignored safely by the parser, it has
to be a document entity (or subdoc, which for our purposes is the same thing).
Therefore, if we restrict external SGML/XML entities to being referenced from
attribute values, we can have reusable objects (as Eliot has pointed out) and we
don't have to redefine the meaning of an entity reference.

Of course, "quoteref" is really a typed hyperlink, as is any "entity reference"
that a parser can safely ignore.

My conclusion: drop the optional entity references. We'll get them back in a
robust and fully conforming form when we add hyperlinking.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA