Re: ERB decisions on A.17, B.9, and other questions

From: Charles F. Goldfarb <Charles@SGMLsource.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 03:37:00 GMT
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Cc: U35395@UICVM.UIC.EDU, John_Lavagnino@brown.edu, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:50:23 -0400, gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol) wrote:

>As I said earlier, SDATA, or some form of entity typing mechanism,
>seems to me to be crucial to building a good distributed
>character/glyph/font registry/resolution mechnism. I wish to be
>able to do something like:
>
>    <!ENTITY foo SDATA "[unicode=XXX glyphid=XXXX charid=XXXX]" >
>
>and to be able to resolve/process that on my local system.

That is what SDATA was designed for.

But, you don't need the square brackets. I put those in the ISO character entity
sets so that the replacement text would stand out in the processed output, as a
convention to indicate that a glyph should be there instead.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA