Re: Optional features considered harmful

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:44:09 -0400
To: tbray@textuality.com
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>2. external text entities are big-time bad news for a browser -
>   particularly since browsers are moving in the direction of exposing
>   the document structure to client-side logic.  And in fact the
>   jam-it-in-the-parse-tree semantic of text entities is not really
>   the kind of transclusion you want in a browser.

Why are they so bad for clients? The ERB has decided that enternal
text entities must be strictly synchronous with the document structure
after all, which would be one of the major hurdles. Without the
possibility of asynchronous nodes, it the purely linear parsing model
still required? I think it's possible to work around the issues.