non-reportable errors

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:14:52 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
   I haven't gotten a rise out of anyone with this, but I will make a last
try. Several people have told me off-list that the reason for
non-reportable errors is so people who don't care about SGML compatibility
need not implement it. If this is the case, I would rather that we add an
explicit notion of an "SGML compatibility warning." XML parsers would be
recommended, but not required, to issue these for things like -- in
comments and ambiguous content models.

   I would rather have plain language that reflects out intent, than
language which, when properly decoded, reflects our intent.

   The terms error and warning are well established in the compiler
community (as is the fact that ignoring warnings can cause you real
trouble). Let's use them.

   -- David

RE delenda est.
http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html