Re: B.10 Empty elements?

From: Deborah A. Lapeyre <dlapeyre@mulberrytech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
cc: John_Lavagnino@brown.edu, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

1)  I still prefer <e></e> and have seen no logical arguments to
convince me otherwise.  Yes, it makes it impossible to distinguish
between events and lack of content.  That is NOT a showstopper
for me.

2)  Failing that, ANY system that marks them, and is internally
symetrical will do.
By symetry, I mean that it starts and ends with the same character.
I mean that <e/>, </>, <qwqwqwq>, and #r# are fine and "<e" is NOT.

3)  Far last choice is the current SGML situation, which confuses
new users, is hard to teach, and (stack or no stack) is not pretty to parse.

An element is a container.  Let all elements that start, end, even if that
end is logically the same place.

--Debbie Lapeyre

Deborah A. Lapeyre                   Phone: 301-231-6933
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.          Fax:   301-231-6935
6010 Executive Blvd.  Suite 608      E-mail: dlapeyre@mulberrytech.com
Rockville, MD USA 20852