Re: B.10 Empty elements?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 10:00:28 BST
To: lee@sq.com
Cc: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
I have to say I think in the context of the decisions about valid
vs. [whatever -- my archive is temporarily inaccessible -- you know,
processable] XML, there is no reason not to say that empty elements
are notated exactly as they are in SGML, i.e. <e>, and that w/o (partial) DTD
information, empty elements will cause errors, i.e. empty elements are
allowed iff the necessary declaration fragment is present.

ht

Reference concrete syntax means just that:  NO NEW SYNTAX