Re: C.14 Enumerations in attribute declarations?

At 10:07 AM 10/18/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>At the very least, when we adopt rules not on their technical merits but
>solely to preserve compatibility with 8879, even in cases where 8879's
>rule is now generally conceded to be a Bad Thing, I think the spec
>should introduce the feature with the phrase "For compatibility
>reasons ... " -- as in "For compatibility reasons, the string '--'
>(double hyphen) is not allowed within comments."  WG8 members can then
>read the XML spec with a clear idea of where an XML rule was adopted
>because it seemed a good one, and where it was adopted solely for
>the sake of compatibility with 8879:1986 and will gladly be changed
>when the revision sets things right.

I agree.

Although I very much want this behavior so that I don't have to explain
to people why they have to use 1s and 0s in CALS table markup, I think we
should defer it to a future version of XML once the SGML revision has
been completed.

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760