Re: Non-Unicode characters, SDATA, etc.

From: Robert Streich <streich@slb.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 02:27:14 -0500
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 02:50 PM 10/22/96 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>So: what applications are going to become severely XML-impaired
>if we lack the nice out-of-band SDATA signaling mechanism?  Concrete
>examples would be the most valuable input.

95% of the documents that I deal with now have extensive math in them. If
I had the right tables I could tell you more specifically how many of them
contain characters not in Unicode.

I have to admit that I could continue to do the same thing with them as I
do now: run them through TeX (I still find it hard to believe how
dependent I am on that wonderful life saver) and render them as GIF, but
if I'm stuck with that then there's one more thing that I don't get from
XML that it seems HTML will provide for....hmmmmm.

bob

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760