Re: C.11 Multiple declarations for attributes?

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:53:54 -0400
To: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 1:23 PM 10/17/96, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>On 23 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following
>question.  A straw poll indicates the ERB is leaning to yes.
>
>C.11  Should XML retain SGML's prohibition on multiple attribute-list
>declarations for the same element (11.3.1) or on multiple
>declarations for the same attribute (11.3.2)?

11.3.1 no.
   I still think that this simple mechanical DTD transform would be
staggeringly useful.

11.3.2 yes.

    I can't even tell what 2 delcarations for one attribute would mean. I
wish that I could declare one model for an attribute on one element and a
different model for the same attribute on another element, but the language
surgery would be too intense even for me to advocate it in XML.

   -- David

RE delenda est.

http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/services_map_main.html