Re: B.9 Formal system, public identifiers?

From: <streich@austin.sar.slb.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 16:56:07 CDT
To: jjc@jclark.com
Cc: tbray@textuality.com, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

> >> What is the functionality you want from FSIs that you can't get from URLs?
> >
> >At least better opportunities for indirection.
>
> How do FSIs offer this?  What makes you think URLs can't offer indirection?

I didn't say that URLs don't offer indirection, only that there are
better opportunities with FSIs. With an FSI, I can add my own storage
object handler to pull the doc out of a DMS, for example. With a URL, I
would have to go through a gateway to accomplish the same purpose. If
you've ever had a key gateway crash because the process table overflowed,
you understand my reluctance to be cornered into this.

bob