Re: B.2 DTD required or optional?

From: Bill Smith <bill.smith@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 12:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
I like Tim Bray's distinction of well-formed and valid. The concepts are easily understood and have practical (not just theoretical)
utility.

In my opinion, it must be possible to correctly process well-formed XML without
the aid of a DTD. Ideally, well-formed documents would be processed without any
form of "hinting". If we cross the DTD-less line for well-formed XML, I doubt
that XML will be widely accepted.