Re: B.9 Formal system, public identifiers?

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:24:55 +0000
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 11:16 15/10/96 -0400, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>For XML 1.0, we need to keep things as simple as possible.  The simplest
>>solution is:
>>
>>- No public identifiers, formal or otherwise.
>>
>>- System identifiers must be URLs.
>
>I disagree. Using FPI's and FSI's for naming is simple enough.

I just counted the number of lines of code in the part of SP that handles
external entities; I included just the URL and OSFILE storage mangers, and
just the UTF-8 and Unicode encodings.  It was more than 5000 lines.  I don't
see how we can possibly meet our goals for ease of implementation if this
part of XML has this level of complexity.

Don't get me wrong: I love FPIs and FSIs.  But I strongly believe this whole
XML exercise is going to be a total waste of time unless we exercise extreme
self-restraint in the features we put in XML, especially in version 1.0.

James