Re: B.11 Empty end-tags?

From: Bill Smith <bill.smith@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 09:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Arjun Ray wrote:

> Unless the XML spec will have normative statements regarding error recovery,
> anything better than a coredump is graceful enough, IMHO. I'd like to repeat
> my earlier comments:
>
>   - A popular language *will* have untutored/unsophisticated users.
>
>   - It will take just one implementation modeled on Mosaic 2.4 to
>     make tag salad an ugly reality, *especially* if "graceful
>     recovery" becomes an *expected* feature.

Let application developers decide how to handle error recovery. Some will opt
for graceful recovery, whether as a result of "untutored/unsophisticated users"
or some other "failure" like transmission errors. Others will opt for a coredump
- like some 30% of Unix utilities. I don't think we should specify the expected
behavior.

We should take into consideration whether robust applications can be developed
around XML and part of that is graceful error recovery. My point on </TAG> is
that it enables an application to recover from what is likely to frequently
occur in the input stream.