Re: B.9 Formal system, public identifiers?

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:16:10 -0400
To: jjc@jclark.com
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>For XML 1.0, we need to keep things as simple as possible.  The simplest
>solution is:
>
>- No public identifiers, formal or otherwise.
>
>- System identifiers must be URLs.

I disagree. Using FPI's and FSI's for naming is simple enough.
The really hard part is name *resolution* (ie. turning a name
into a physical adress that can be accessed).

I agree that we cannot solve the resolution side by November, but
XML naming conventions certainly can be resolved by then. Again,
if we have an extensible naming scheme with a robust grammer, then
I am all for it.