Re: B.10 Empty elements?

At 18:21 14/10/96 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:
>Len Bullard wrote:
>
>> 3.  Is the processing time severe for the case you state?
>> I realize this question has many hands to argue with.
>
>While the average case time may not be "severe", the worst case behavior
may be
>and therefor cannot be ignored.
>
>If an empty element is inserted high in a document instance (say an <A>
within a
>high-level <DIV> in HTML 3.2), the emptiness of <A> cannot be inferred
until the
>enclosing element is closed - or the parser performs lookahead. Either way,
>processing is delayed and application complexity increases.

Isn't the problem even worse than this?  You don't just to figure out that
empty elements are in fact empty, you also have to figure out that non-empty
elements are not in fact empty. The first time I see a chapter tag, I can't
tell that it is not in fact an empty tag until I see its close tag.  So
either I can't start displaying the chapter until I have got the whole
chapter or I have to assume initially that every tag is non-empty and be
able to go back and reformat when I discover one that's not.  This just is
not going to work.

James