Re: B.10 Empty elements?

At 01:39 PM 10/13/96 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:

>(2)  provide the necessary markup declarations in a "partial DTD" so that
>     empty elements can be understood:
>
>     <!ELEMENT e - O EMPTY><!--or whatever-->
>
>(2b) provide the necessary "instance parameters" rather than whole markup
>     declarations (which generally provide more info than is needed for
>     read-only processing functions):
>
>     <?XML empty e><!--or whatever-->

Sign me up with Eve on (2) - this has the advantages that it's easy
to explain, easy to parse, and is consistent with both SGML and HTML
thinking.

2b - please, not another syntax for doing the same thing... whether we
use DSD or DTD, let's use one thing throughout.  The difficulty of parsing
(2) as opposed to (2b) is nowhere near greater enough to justify getting
into another syntax.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167