Re: A17: keep or drop entities?

From: Charles F. Goldfarb <Charles@SGMLsource.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:48:58 GMT
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
On Tue, 08 Oct 1996 10:40:56 -0700, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

>I'm going to have trouble voting on this.  And it's *way* more important than the syntax of markup declarations.

From a technical standpoint, Tim is correct. Compared to a simplified DTD syntax
that captures only the XML information set, the perceived benefit of DSDs
becomes vanishingly small. From a business and political standpoint, though, the
divisiveness that a non-standard syntax would create overwhelms every other
consideration.

I urge Tim to withdraw the DSD proposal so that we can concentrate our energies
on the important technical issues.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA