Re: A28: syntax of markup declarations?

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 20:41:42 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 07:27 AM 10/8/96 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>XML is the easy on-ramp to SGML.

In your opinion (which is to say, each reader's),

#1. Will an XML document _have_ to have a DTD or DSD to be considered valid?
And if so, is XML really much of an "easy on-ramp" for authors, or just for
tool vendors.
#2. And if not, how do you feel about the fact that some XML documents will
not be valid SGML documents (i.e. they will not conform to any DTD).

The answers to these questions will influence my opinions on question A28,
and are, I think more fundamental than the question of the syntax of markup
declarations.

 Paul Prescod